Many of us regard swollen and bleeding gums and sensitive teeth as simple oral problems that can be fixed by gargling mouthwash or using special toothpaste. If not properly treated, however, gum disease could lead to tooth loss and other chronic inflammatory diseases. Scaling and root planing in Costa Rica are an effective and affordable way to treat periodontal disease in its early stages.
The success of dental tourism in Costa Rica can be traced to a combination of quality treatments and affordable prices. Cosmetic dentistry in Costa Rica, in particular, is largely popular among patients from developed countries who can’t or won’t pay for expensive aesthetic dental work.
Oral Health Facts and Statistics – United States
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 64.7 million American adults are suffering from periodontitis, with prevalence rates increasing to 70.1% among adults aged 65 and above.
A rising number of Americans are taking the advantage of low cost treatments including scaling and root planing in Costa Rica because Medicare does not cover routine dental care.
Statistics on Medicare also aver the exorbitant prices that they have to pay out of pocket for getting treated. Medicare beneficiaries who had dental work in 2008 used their own money to pay an average of $672 for dental care (source: Oral Health in the US: Key Facts – Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured).
Scaling and Root Planing Explained
Those considering enlisting for a scaling and root planing (SRP) dental procedure in Costa Rica to save money will find these quick facts helpful:
- Both scaling and root planing are deep cleaning procedures. In scaling, the dentist uses scraping instruments or an ultrasonic tool to take out plaque that’s building up at the edge of the gum-line. It may be a more technologically advanced procedure, but ultrasonic scaling in Costa Rica is still comparatively cheaper.
- Root planing is basically ‘teeth sanding’ wherein rough spots on the surfaces and roots of the tooth are removed.
- The procedures carry a high risk of harmful bacteria entering the bloodstream. Before proceeding, make sure to inform your dentist if you have problems with your heart or immune system, or if you recently had major surgeries. Antibiotics may be prescribed before and after the procedure to prevent any serious infections or complications.
Advantages of Scaling and Root Planing in Costa Rica
- Dental tourists will enjoy big savings, thanks to the low scaling and root planing cost in Costa Rica. They can avail of fixed price dental packages at only half the costs charged in First World countries.
- Costa Rica offers many other dental procedures at significantly discounted prices. From simple dental work like veneers and crowns, to more complex procedures such assame day dental implants – Costa Rica gives one innumerable options to have them cheap.
- Scaling and deep root cleaning in Costa Rica are performed by highly-qualified, board-certified dentists who became fluent in English because of years of accommodating international patients.
- Even for simple procedures like dental scaling in Costa Rica, leading dental clinics use the latest equipment and technology, such as 3D imaging to provide only world-class dental care to all patients. They also follow strict hygiene and sanitation standards.
- Every year, Costa Rica welcomes thousands of patients from the US and Canada who prefer going here for a dental vacation as they are not required to get a visa for a three-month stay.
Costa Rica At a Glance
Here’s some basic information that may help you in planning for periodontal scaling and root planing in Costa Rica:
- A large percentage of tourists visiting the country every year engage in eco tourism-related activities like trekking and bird watching.
- The climate in Costa Rica is usually tropical throughout the year. The summer season runs from December to April, while rainfalls can be expected from May to November.
- Costa Rica boasts of many natural parks, volcanoes, and beach destinations that offer a wide range of activities for tourists, including biking, bird watching, fishing and surfing.
The promise of healthier teeth and gums, plus the chance of experiencing a majestic vacation in one of the most beautiful tourist destinations in the world, make scaling and root planing in Costa Rica something to look forward to.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on Scaling and Root Planing in Costa Rica.