If you are thinking of getting treatment in cosmetic dentistry, you are certain to save thousands of dollars on your treatment in Colombia. The cost savings in Colombia are incredibly attractive for services offered by the state-of-the-art modern clinics in major cities of Colombia.
A survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry reveals:
- Virtually all adults (99.7%) believe a smile is a valuable social asset.
- Most (96%) adults think an attractive smile appeals to members of the opposite sex.
- Many (74%) adults feel an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chance for career success.American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
A survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry reveals
” Statistics reveal that we place a high value on our smiles. According to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey:
Virtually all adults (99.7%) believe a smile is an important social asset. 96% of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to members of the opposite sex.
Three-quarters (74%) of adults feel an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chance for career success.
And when respondents were asked, “What would you like to improve most about your smile?” The most common response was: whiter and brighter teeth. If you are not happy with your smile, teeth whitening may be a good first step.”
View in Article
So, avail the benefit of dental tourism by opting for quality cosmetic dental procedures at minimal cost in Colombia.
How much is Cosmetic Dentistry Cost in Colombia?
Cosmetic dental treatment in Colombia will cost only a fraction of what you spend in the US or Canada.
To give an example, teeth whitening treatment, which costs $ 650 in the US costs only $ 200 in Colombia. Porcelain veneer treatment per tooth costs only USD 550 in Colombia, while it is up to 2500 USD in the US.
The table below compares the costs of different cosmetic dental treatments in Colombia to that in the USA and Canada:
|Implant||$3,000 – 4,500||$1,200 – 4,600||$1,300|
|Porcelain Crowns*||$800 – 1,700||$750 – 1,850||$360|
|Implant-supported denture||$1,500 – 5,000||$1,500 – 3,100||$1,000 – 1,200|
|Removable complete denture||$1,275 – 2,750||$760 – 1,900||$370|
|Removable partial denture||$900 – 3,500||$230 – 2,800||$200 – 300|
|Bridgework(1 pontic & 1 crown)||$2,000 – 5,000||$760 – 2,700||$350|
|Composite Veneers*||$250 – 1,500||$115 – 700||$200|
|Porcelain Veneers*||$3,000 – 8,000||$3,800 – 6,400||$1,700 – 2,400|
*per tooth; ^per jaw Prices from online sources; All prices in USD
Why Colombia for Cosmetic Dentistry?
The benefits of traveling to Colombia for cosmetic dental services are plenty:
First and foremost, the most significant benefit is the cost-saving of up to 80%. The cost of accommodation, travel, or daily needs is also low. This means meager overhead costs.Expatistan
Why Colombia for Cosmetic Dentistry
” Cost of living in Colombia is cheaper than in 90% of countries in the World (86 out of 96)”
View in Article
Colombia has some of the most accredited universities in South America that offer quality dental education. Journal of Oral Science
Dental education in Colombia
” Currently, there are 21 accredited dental schools Colombia, and some of these schools have branches in different cities. For example, the Universidad Antonio Nariño has 10 sites, and the Universidad Cooperativa has 9. Because of this, there are considered to be 41 different dental school facilities in Colombia. Of the 21 schools, 16 are private and 5 are public; all require full-time attendance. The majority of these dental schools are active, meaning that they fulfill all the requirements of the Ministry of Health, which oversees the accreditation process, and thus these schools are able to continue operating.”
View in Article
Besides this, many dentists pursue their dental training from USA.
Quality of Care
The WHO has ranked Colombia at #22 among the 191 countries that they reviewed for healthcare systems. This ranking is way better than that of Canada (#30) and the USA (#37).CNBC
4 countries with the best health care in the world 2017
” Healthcare in Colombia is both high quality and affordable. The World Health Organization (WHO) ranks Colombia’s healthcare system as number 22 out of the 191 countries they review. That is better than Canada, which ranks number 30, and the U.S., which ranks number 37.”
View in Article
Short Travel Time
Colombia is just a few hours of flight journey from the USA and a little more from Canada. It’s a beautiful place to visit, and the unchanging nature of its climate all year round will surprise you.
Why choose MedicalTourismCo for Cosmetic Dentistry in Colombia?
Choosing MedicalTourismCo is advantageous for several reasons:
- Track record and experience in dental tourism
- Negotiated discounted prices
- Assistance in arranging passports and visas
- Help with tourism-related activities, if patients need it
- Prime focus – patient safety, trouble-free treatment trips, and aftercare
- Quick and transparent communication
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic Dentistry refers to any dental procedure that is carried out to enhance the appearance of the teeth or improve the smile. It is for anyone who wants to create a positive change to their teeth and to their smile.
Cosmetic Dentistry procedures may include changes to the:
- Color, position, shape, or size of teeth
- Alignment of the jaw
- The overall appearance of the teeth and gums
Cosmetic Dentistry is also referred to as “Smile Makeover” or “Hollywood Smile” or “Esthetic Dentistry”.
Cosmetic dentistry is not a single dental specialty as such, but an umbrella term for several dental specialties that focus on correcting concerns related to dental esthetics or a smile. The main dental specialties to be considered in cosmetic dentistry are:
- Periodontics and Endodontics, to a lesser degree
Why do I need Cosmetic Dentistry?
You may need cosmetic dentistry for several reasons:
- Crooked teeth
- Crooked teeth give an ugly appearance and are difficult to clean, thus the risk of caries and surrounding gums swelling is high
- Spaces between teeth
- Common in the front teeth and are often genetic in nature
- Improper shape of the teeth
- Damaged teeth
- May result from an injury e.g., chipped, cracked, or worn out teeth
- Discolored teeth
- Staining due to excessive tea/coffee drinking or tobacco smoke
- Missing teeth
- Due to extractions or fall due to injury (e.g., sports injury)
- Receding gums
- Caused due to bruxism (habitual grinding of teeth) or trauma to gums. It can also be genetic in nature
- Tooth cavities, especially in anterior teeth
Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures in Colombia
Dental implants replace the missing teeth. Any number of teeth can be replaced using implants. The replaced teeth resemble natural teeth and are longer lasting.
- Look and feel of natural teeth
- A permanent solution to missing teeth
- Improved speech, comfort, and chewing
- Prevent bone loss
Fixed Partial Denture/ Bridge
A fixed dental bridge is used to replace a tooth or a couple of teeth that are no longer viable. It replaces missing teeth by using the adjacent teeth as support. This creates a literal “bridge” between the remaining teeth and the missing teeth.
Dental porcelain is generally used for bridgework because:
- It mimics the shape and looks of original teeth
Removable dentures are a set of artificial teeth that can be removed from the mouth by the patient. The type of denture one needs depends upon the number of missing teeth in a jaw.
Removable Dentures can be:
- Removable Partial Dentures (RPD) – Replacing a few teeth
- Complete Removable Dentures (Traditional) – Replacing all teeth in a jaw
Also known as Snap-on Denture or Implant-supported denture combines traditional dentures with dental implants.
In overdenture treatment, two implants are inserted in the jawbone, and a denture is secured on to it to increase retention, stability, and comfort.
It is largely done in the lower jaw, where traditional dentures tend to have less retention because of limited foundation and the moving tongue displacing the denture.
Limited bone loss where the implants are placed making overdentures a more successful treatment in the long run
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” placed over a real tooth that is cut.
A crown is placed over a tooth to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Restore an already broken tooth
- Restore severely worn out tooth
- Cover and support a tooth that has a large filling, but no tooth structure left
- Secure a dental bridge in place
- Make up for poorly shaped or severely discolored teeth
- As a cover for dental implant
For cosmetic reasons, porcelain crowns are used.
- Replicate the original tooth in function
- Designed to look like the original tooth
- Maintenance is simple – only routine brushing with non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste and regular flossing
- Time-consuming – Require some laboratory time to be created
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- No flexibility of natural teeth, so avoiding certain foods is required
Veneers are thin shells that are fitted on to the teeth to create a natural look. They are molded and cemented to the tooth for an exact fit and are one of the major cosmetic dentistry procedures in Colombia.
To apply a veneer on a tooth surface, some amount of tooth enamel has to be removed. This creates space for the veneer to fit in and restore the natural tooth function.
Veneers are of two types:
- Lasts longer
- Natural appearance is esthetically pleasing. The semi-translucent appearance of porcelain veneers helps them to blend with adjacent natural teeth
- Can fix darker-stained teeth
- Porcelain resists coffee/ tea stains and stains because of smoking
- Provides strength and resilience to the tooth
- High costs
- Its application needs more than one visit
- May fall off and need to be re-fixed
- Tooth enamel needs to be reduced; therefore, veneers are not a reversible treatment
- Requires laboratory time
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures is expected since a thin layer of enamel is removed. This is, however, expected to disappear in a few days
- Veneers are brittle. Excessive stresses should be avoided
- Low Cost
- Shorter application and needs one/just a few visits to the dentist
- Covers many esthetic issues such as discolored or chipped tooth
- Weaker than porcelain
- Will need to be replaced or repaired more frequently than porcelain
If you are not an ideal candidate for teeth whitening or are looking for an alternative to crowns, speak to your dentist about veneers.
Lumineers® are ultra-thin veneers, manufactured by DenMat dental laboratory. They are thinner, cheaper, and faster to apply.
According to DenMat laboratory, Lumineers® is the #1 patient-requested veneer. Since Lumineers® require less preparation to be applied to teeth, they are also referred to as “no-prep” veneers.
Lumineers are made with the strongest leucite-reinforced ceramic and have lesser wear rates against opposing dentition when compared to conventional veneers.DenMat
Lumineers – Porcelain Veneers
“…are clearly the #1 choice for achieving a brilliant, white smile while replicating the natural characteristics of enamel. Lumineers are fabricated in cerinate feldspathic pressable porcelain. Their low viscosity glass allows for the pressing of restorations as thin as 0.3mm with exceptional strength. At 216 MPa, Lumineers are made with the strongest leucite-reinforced ceramic on the market and show low wear rates against opposing dentition when compared to conventional veneers…”
View in Article
Onlays & Inlays
Onlays – also called as partial crowns, they are a type of cosmetic restoration that covers one or more cusps of teeth
Inlays – Inlay is a filling within the cusps on a tooth’s chewing surface
Both Onlay & Inlay are much more conservative restorations as compared to crowns.
Teeth whitening service can be received either in the dental clinics or at home by following the Do-It-Yourself approach, with over-the-counter (OTC) products.
Treatment in a dental clinic is preferred because even though stronger chemicals are applied on the surfaces of teeth for whitening purposes, the rest of the mouth is protected from the chemicals.
The zoom teeth-whitening treatment utilizes a gel-based Blue LED light-accelerated technology which helps whiten the teeth quickly. Amorphous Calcium Phosphate (ACP) used in the treatment protects the enamel and improves luster as well as reduces sensitivity.USA Philips
” Philips Zoom Blue LED light-accelerated technology and gel whitens rapidly while Amorphous Calcium Phosphate (ACP) helps deliver enamel protection, improve luster and reduce sensitivity.”
View in Article
By using the best whitening systems, dentists can whiten up to 10 shades in just an hour. The results can be longer-lasting, depending on how well you take care of your teeth.
‘Braces’ is a commonly used term for orthodontic treatment. They work to straighten teeth, align crowded teeth, and close spaces between teeth.
Orthodontic treatment is available in two types:
- Conventional braces (with wires and brackets)
- Invisible braces (clear orthodontic aligners)
The prices and treatment duration differ for each type of orthodontic treatment.
Dental bonding can repair a broken or chipped tooth. It can close gaps between teeth; therefore, you need not wait for lengthy orthodontic treatments.
The bonding material is generally composite resin, which is applied to the tooth surface and then cured with a special light. The curing hardens the material to ensure that it securely adheres to your teeth.
- Needs less enamel to be removed
- Repairs damaged or broken teeth
- Fills gaps between teeth
- Natural-looking results
- Can be altered in the future
Dental Bonding is also called ‘transitional bonding’ because it allows the patient to transition into more permanent cosmetic treatment options based on their affordability.
In gum reshaping, there is the restoration of
- Gum tissue surrounding the teeth
- Periodontal tissue (deep under the gum tissue)
- The bone that supports the teeth
- Increases the life expectancy of the teeth
- Removal of tissue that was transformed due to gum diseases
- Better support to the teeth
Dental Clinics in Colombia
We guide you to the best and accredited dental clinics in major cities of Colombia:
Cosmetic dentists don’t solely exist to give patients a better smile, but their specialties also help improve the functioning of teeth. There are several criteria based upon which you can select a cosmetic dentist:
- Training in Cosmetic Dentistry
- Skill & Experience in Cosmetic Dentistry
- Before and After photos and patient testimonials
The dental clinics in Colombia that we recommend are:
Oralimagen Dental Clinic, Medellin
Dentists working at Oralimagen Dental Clinic, Medellin are all eight to 18 years experienced; and a team of experts in Orthodontics, Oral Surgery, Periodontology, Implantology, and Oral Rehabilitation.
The clinic offers a range of services, such as:
- Smile Micro design – Minimally invasive smile design that includes teeth whitening followed by esthetic resin edges.
- Teeth Whitening – Includes laser or cuvette whitening, or a combination of both.
- Dental Rejuvenation – Includes a variety of procedures such as teeth whitening, gum reshaping, porcelain crowns and veneers
- Photo cure Resins – Replaces amalgam fillings for esthetic reasons
- Smile Design
- Ceramic or composite veneers
- Gum Reshaping
- Dental Inlays
- Porcelain crowns
Oralimagen also offers bichectomy, which includes the removal of Bichat balls to reduce the volume of the cheeks, thus styling the face.
Check patient testimonials here:
Located in Bogota, the main tourist destination of Colombia, Dentica Clinic offers a range of services from qualified professionals and state-of-the-art technology management.
All dentists working here have more than 10 years of experience and are active members of the Colombian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (ACCOMF) and the AOCMF Latin America.
Highlights of the clinic:
- Compliance with patient safety, quality, and environmental policies
- Radiology and laboratory service
- Basic life support management services
- Needle-less anesthesia equipment that supplies anesthesia through high-speed pressure stream with minimal discomfort and high effectiveness
- Noise-reducing latest technology equipment
- Sterilization processes performed with physical, chemical, and biological controls
- Wi-Fi zone for patients and visitors
The clinic specializes in offering every cosmetic dental procedure. Check out what the patients have to say about the treatment they received here.
Estetica Dental Avanzada, Cali
The lead dentist at Estetica Dental Avanzada, Dr. Juan Uribe, is
- 17+ years experienced
- Placed 1500 + implants
- Trained by Dr. Per-Ingvar Branemark, “Father of Modern Implantology”
- Trained at Zimmer Institute, California, Ankylos Dentsply training center in Germany, and the PI Branemark Institute in Brazil
- Member of the Colombian Dental Federation and the Colombian Association of Periodontics and Osseointegration
In cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Uribe’s clinic offers the following services:
- Smile design
- Periodontal plastic surgery
- Porcelain veneers and crowns
- Teeth whitening
- Facial rejuvenation procedures such as Botox, Hyaluronic Acid, and Fibrin-rich Plasma
Carlos Acevedo Dental Clinic, Barranquilla
The lead dentist, Dr. Carlos Acevedo is
- An Oral Surgeon and an Implantologist
- International speaker for Bicon Dental Implants at the Bicon Institute, Boston, USA
- Certified trainer in CEREC Solutions for the Design and Digital Construction of Dental Restorations with CAD-CAM Technology, Sirona, Bensheim, Germany
- Leads an interdisciplinary team of qualified and committed dentists in Barranquilla, specialized in Oral Rehabilitation, Endodontics, and Periodontics
The clinic Carlos Acevedo Dental Clinic, Barranquilla:
- Specializes in smile design, digital smile design, dental implants, and braces.
- It offers 3D CEREC service and is a pioneer of CEREC technology’ in Barranquilla.
Centro de Implantes de la Costa, Cartagena
Centro de Implantes de la Costa, Cartagena is run by Dr. Julio Oliver, who is an
- 17 + years clinical experience
- The clinic specializes in orthodontics, smile design, esthetic dentistry, dental implants, and oral rehabilitation, among others
The clinic uses German CEREC technology, which helps in providing quick and effective patient support.
FAQs in Cosmetic Dentistry
Why does Cosmetic Dentistry Cost so Little in Colombia than in USA and Canada?
Dental treatment is costly in the USA, partly because of the cost of labor. In contrast, the cost of labor in Colombia is significantly cheaper. Moreover, it is not as inflated as it is in the USA because of insurance companies.
Affordable dental care in Colombia, however, does not equate to cheap quality. The clinics in Colombia use the same materials from dental material manufacturers that supply in the USA. Clinics use materials from top brands such as Zimmer, BioHorizons, and Microdent.
How Safe is Colombia?
Safety was an issue, once upon a time in Colombia. However, things have improved now. According to the Overseas Security Advisory Council, the attacks committed by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) have stopped almost entirely. Overseas Security Advisory Council
Colombia 2019 Crime & Safety Report: Cartagena
” Note: Following the November 2016 peace accord with the FARC, attacks committed by this group as an organization stopped almost entirely.”
View in Article However, it is essential to be vigilant and avoid visiting known dangerous places. You just need to exercise caution and be sensible to stay safe.
How do I know Whether a Cosmetic Dentist in Colombia is Good or Not?
One of the first questions you must ask yourself is the experience of the dentist or the dental clinics in offering cosmetic dental procedures. Cosmetic dentistry involves various specialties of dentistry such as orthodontics, prosthodontics, periodontics, and Implantology. Choose a clinic that has dentists in these specialties.
What are my options in Colombia if I want a Smile Makeover?
If you want a smile makeover, it means that you are not happy with your smile. You must visit a dentist experienced in offering cosmetic dental treatments, such as teeth whitening, veneers, braces, or implants, etc.
If you are concerned that a cosmetic dental procedure may involve cutting of healthy tooth structure, there are various conservative treatment options available such as teeth whitening or lumineers.
How much can I save with Cosmetic Dentistry in Colombia?
As you can see from the cost table above, the prices in Colombia are much lower than those in the USA or Canada. It is possible to save as much as 70% depending upon the kind of procedure needed.
Are the Hygiene and Sterilization in Clinics in Colombia like International Standards?
Very much! Dental clinics in Colombia use all the latest modern sterilization techniques.
I am a Smoker. Can I Undergo Cosmetic Dental Procedures?
A smoker generally cannot undergo treatment with dental implants. This is because smoking increases the risk of the failure rate of an implant.
Smoking also affects your gums, which too can lead to dental implant failure. Smokers cannot even undergo a teeth whitening treatment because the whitening effect will not last longer, as smoke will continue to stain the teeth.
It is, therefore, needed to quit smoking before receiving dental implant treatment.
Can Children Undergo Cosmetic Dentistry Procedure?
Some children may have discolored teeth, while some may have fractured or chipped front teeth because of any sports-related injury. It is essential to visit the dentist so that they can suggest the right treatment based on the child’s age, oral and dental conditions, and child’s and parent’s desires.
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry: TEETH WHITENING
- Expatistan: Cost of living in Colombia
- Journal of Oral Science: Dental education in Colombia
- CNBC: 4 countries with the best health care in the world 2017
- Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC): Colombia 2019 Crime & Safety Report: Cartagena