Despite the current increase in most healthcare prices and fees, it is possible to get affordable and high-quality spinal surgery in Europe. Affordable spine surgery abroad – in advanced facilities and performed by highly-qualified surgeons – is now available for those who may not have the huge funds usually required for such delicate surgeries.
The influx of tourists to medical destinations like Spain and Turkey are also bringing about additional tourism income to these countries, prompting them to continuously make improvements and update their systems and facilities to suit the needs of the swelling number of patients they are receiving.
Please submit quote request form on right for price estimate.
Usually, spine surgeries are recommended for patients complaining of constant back pain, but not until after more conservative treatments have been tried for at least six months to a year. This is because most treatments for back pain usually take some time to resolve the issue, and doctors would want to see the results first before resorting to spine surgery. Some examples of spine surgery are the following:
- Discectomy – involves the removal of a portion of the disc causing problems. The disc is usually herniated, and this is the most common type of spine surgery being undergone by patients.
- Laminectomy – is done to relieve pressure on the spinal cord, treating patients with spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis.
- Spine Fusion – when the spine is unstable, spine fusion surgery can be done to prevent motion between adjacent vertebrae.
- Disc Replacement – this is not widely performed, but usually done to avoid spine fusion by more active individuals.
Non-surgical treatments usually recommended before spine surgery are:
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic therapy
- Non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug or NSAIDs
- Epidural injections
Cost of Spine Surgery in Europe
- A lot of patients around the European continent have long been going to nearby countries to get lower-cost surgery from some of the best surgeons in the world.
- Many of them get spine surgery in Spain and Turkey, where the costs are much lower compared to other European countries like the UK, France, and Italy, sometimes up to 50% lower than what it costs in those countries.
- With the advent of medical tourism in recent years, more and more patients from other continents especially from around North America have gone to Europe for spine surgery and a holiday.
- To get a more detailed quote, please submit an inquiry form.
Why Get Spine Surgery in Europe?
- Most European countries are very advanced when it comes to medical facilities and equipment.
- Reputed spine surgery centers in Spain and Turkey provide affordable medical services.
- European spine surgeons are very well-educated, trained, and experienced with dealing with medical tourists from all over the globe.
- The trip can be scheduled both as a surgery trip and a holiday. With many choices of amazing destinations to go to, Europe is one of the most beautiful places in the world because of its old-world charm combined with modern conveniences.
Spain Medical Tourism
- Officially known as the Kingdom of Spain
- Geographically located in the southwestern part of Europe
- The official Spain currency is now officially Euros (since 2002), replacing the peseta
- Spain’s economy is constantly placed in the top 15 in the world
- Spain’s capital is Madrid
Reasons Why Medical Tourists Choose Spain
- Excellent cultural and religious architectural structures: cathedrals, castles, old government buildings. Most of these can be found in Madrid, Toledo, Salamanca, and Cordoba.
- Impressive art collections: the Picasso museum is in Barcelona, and Madrid also houses the three top art museums in Spain.
- Beautiful natural resources like beaches and lakes: excellent beaches are in Malaga, Almeria, La Manga, Galicia, and Cantrabria. The flora and fauna can be best experienced while visiting places like the Pyrenees, Andalucia, Baza, and Guadix.
- Flamenco dance performances by the experts. Many shows abound the different parts of the country where tourists can not only watch, but also learn and perform this passionate and beautiful dance.
- There are world-renowned Spanish doctors whose services are sought after by people even from other countries.
- The cost of medical procedures like spinal surgery in Spain can be up to 60-70% lower than in other European countries and in the US or Canada.
Turkey Medical Tourism
- Officially known as the Republic of Turkey
- Geographically located in between Asia and Europe
- The official Turkish currency is the Turkish Lira (for a while they changed this to New Turkish Lira, but it has been changed back since)
- Turkey’s economy is constantly placed among the top in the world. In 2009, in the World Bank’s list of Gross Domestic Product per Capita, Turkey was at the 17th place out of over 200 countries.
- Turkey’s capital is Ankara, but Istanbul, its largest city is also very famous among tourists
Reasons Why Medical Tourists Choose Turkey
- Turkey has an abundance of impressive museums displaying local and international artworks and archeological artifacts. Among the top museums visited by tourists are the Ankara Anatolian Civilizations Museum, Topkapi Palace Museum, Istanbul Archeology Museum, Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum, and the Ankara Anitkabir Museum
- Turkey boasta of excellent beaches with beautiful views and some also has great nightlife. The most famous beach may be Oludeniz, but other beaches are also frequented by tourist. Some of these are Patara, Side, Alanya, Olimpos, Bodrum, and Kemer.
- Turkey’s citizens are mostly Islam, and around the country there are majestic mosques that take people’s breaths away.
- Turkish food is mostly a combination of Middle Eastern, Central Asian, and Balkan influences. Needless to say, their food is also among the must-try cuisines in the world.
- The cost of medical procedures like spinal surgery in Turkey can be up to 70% lower than in the US, UK, or other European countries.
Spain and Turkey are among the best countries in Europe for international medical travel. Medical facilities in Turkey and Spain are world class, and they both put a huge importance on quality education and healthcare services. Patients suffering from severe back pains and who are not satisfied with previous conservative treatments should consider going to these two countries for surgery. The savings are huge, the services are of world-class quality, and they are great places to go for tourist activities as well. Spinal surgery in Europe might be the best choice a patient can do not only to seek treatment, but for a taste of the Spanish way of rest and relaxation too.