LASIK Surgery Package: $ 1,400 ~ 1,950 (both eyes)
India [Advanced Medical Optics & VISX certified LASIK surgeon]
Hospital Angeles, Tijuana, Mexico [25 minutes from San Diego, CA Airport]
Hospital Clinica Biblica, Costa Rica [JCI-accredited]
LASIK surgery in Mexico, Costa Rica, and India, is cheap and of high-quality. Though it might seem incredible, it is true that medical tourism can offer excellent eye treatment at the lowest possible costs.
LASIK surgery – An introduction
LASIK stands for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis. It is a procedure that permanently alters the shape of the cornea and corrects vision, thus freeing the individual from the use of glasses or contact lenses.
Laser vision correction has many advantages, but comes with certain risks, too. Also, it may not suit everyone. LASIK surgery may not be for you if you have the following conditions:
- Refractive instability, that is, you needed a change in your contact lens or glasses prescription in the last year.
- Autoimmune diseases (like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis), immunodeficiency states (like HIV) and diabetes. People with these conditions heal very slowly.
- Dry eyes.
- Individuals who participate in contact sports, like boxing or wrestling in which there are chances of injury to the eye.
LASIK Surgery – Procedure Overview
LASIK surgery takes about half an hour. You will sit back in a reclining chair and a numbing drop is put in the eye. The eyelids are held open by an instrument called a lid speculum.
(Pic source: www.fda.gov)
Either a mechanical microkeratome (a blade device) or a laser microkeratome is used to cut a flap in the cornea. If the former is used, the surgeon will place a ring on your eye and apply high pressure to create suction on the cornea. When this is happening, you may feel some amount of discomfort.
If a laser keratome is used, the cornea is flattened with a clear plastic plate. Your vision will dim, and you may feel some discomfort even in this method.
From here on in the procedure, you will be able to see but will have blurred vision. The flap is folded back on its hinge and the exposed tissue dried. The laser is now positioned over your eye and you will be asked to look at a light.
When you do so, and when your eye gets into the correct position, the laser is started. A controlled quantity of laser energy is directed at the cornea to remove the corneal tissue. While this is happening, you may smell an odor resembling burning hair. After the pulses of laser energy vaporize the corneal tissue, the flap is put back into position.
A shielding cover is placed on your eye at the end of the surgery as protection, so that the flap is not disturbed in any way when it is healing.
Precautions to be Taken before LASIK Surgery
A baseline evaluation has to be done to see if you are a suitable candidate for LASIK surgery. If you wear contact lenses, you must stop wearing those, weeks before the baseline evaluation and use glasses at all times, instead. This is because contact lenses change the shape of your cornea. And unless the cornea returns to its natural shape, a precise evaluation cannot be done and this can result in negative consequences for the surgery.
Eye care after LASIK Surgery
Your eye doctor will give you detailed instructions on care, post-LASIK surgery. This list is only indicative.
- Do not rub your eye even if it burns or itches. If you rub the eye, the flap may get dislodged, and further treatment may be needed to correct it.
- Its best if you take a few days off from work, as your eye will be sensitive to light and may appear bloodshot, too.
- If you feel intense pain or if other symptoms worsen, contact your doctor immediately.
- You will have to see your doctor within 48 hours of the surgery and then regularly for the first six months.
- Artificial tears may be administered, to lubricate the eye.
- You must not wear contact lens in the operated eye.
- Avoid using lotions, creams, or make-up close to the eye as it may increase the risks of an infection.
- Avoid swimming, hot tubs and whirlpools for at least two months after the procedure.
- Do not participate in contact sports for at least four weeks after the surgery.
- During the first few months after the surgery, your vision may fluctuate.
LASIK Surgery – Risks
It is important to have realistic expectations from your LASIK surgery, since the procedure is not completely risk-free..If you have severe refractive errors, LASIK surgery may not be completely successful. Also, the procedure was approved by the FDA only in 1998. There is no long-term data available. The risks of LASIK surgery include:
- Loss of vision, which cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery.
- Developing glare or double vision that can seriously affect night vision.
- The patient may not achieve 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts. Very few patients acquire perfect vision after LASIK surgery.
- Dry eye syndrome. This is caused if your eyes do not produce enough tears post-surgery. Dry eye is uncomfortable and reduces vision quality.
LASIK Surgery – Benefits
LASIK eye surgery has many benefits including:
- About 80% of patients get their desired vision after LASIK surgery. This results in a huge positive difference in the quality of life.
- The desired vision is acquired immediately or the day after surgery.
- Recovery is quick. Bandages or stitches are not required.
- Freedom from corrective eyewear like glasses and contact lenses.
- Increased self-confidence and esteem. You no longer have to hide behind your glasses.
- Ability to conveniently participate in more activities (which was previously not possible because of poor vision).
- More and better career opportunities. For some jobs, especially in law enforcement and the army, good vision is a pre-requisite.
- Travel becomes hassle-free as you no longer have to remember to pack an extra pair of glasses or all the paraphernalia needed for contact lenses.
LASIK Surgery Abroad
Medical insurance does not cover LASIK surgery. As the entire cost of the surgery has to be borne by the patient, it can be costly. The cost of LASIK surgery in the US is about $2,000. But there are cheaper options available for LASIK surgery in India, Mexico, Costa Rica, and other standard medical tourism destinations.
Eye clinics in India, Mexico, Costa Rica, and other health tourism centers are of very high standard and patient satisfaction is ensured. You will be in the hands of skilled, experienced and qualified ophthalmologists. Hence, you can look forward to better vision and a better life.
Submit free quote request on right for considering low cost LASIK Surgery abroad.