And in order to cut expenses and avoid long wait lists for their appointment, many patients are now opting for antireflux surgery in Mexico. Medical tourism in Mexico has been on an upswing as the country abounds in sophisticated hospitals that provide quality treatments without burning a hole in the pocket.
Mexico has become a magnet for overseas patients, especially those from nearby United States and Canada, due to its affordable health services. Offshore medical tourists have been making a beeline for orthopedic procedures and weight loss surgeries such as lap band and gastric plication surgery in Mexico.
Many of them are also undergoing discretionary procedures such as tummy tuck, rhinoplasty, and liposuction in Tijuana Cancun and other major medical tourism centers of Mexico.
Antireflux Surgery – an Overview
- According to a report titled Comparison of Antireflux Surgery among Ethnicity by Benjamin Haithcock and Vic Velanovich published in the April 2004 edition of the Journal of the National Medical Association, nearly 40% of the American population reports of heartburn every month and almost 7% on a daily basis.
- In many patients diagnosed with severe heartburn or GERD, antireflux surgery can provide long-term improvement and disappearance of symptoms.
- Those considering antireflux surgery, which is also known as Nissen surgery or Nissen fundoplication, in Mexico can also opt for the laparoscopic version of the surgery.
- In anti-reflux surgery, the upper portion of the stomach (gastric fundus) is wrapped all the way 360 degrees around the esophagus, repairing it with special suture material to form a new valve to avoid reflux. The procedure is done by making tiny incisions in the abdomen.
- As a result of the surgery, whenever the stomach contracts, it cuts off the esophagus instead of squeezing in the stomach acids. This gives relief from GERD.
- As per a study titled Long-Term Outcomes after Laparoscopic Antireflux Surgery by Brant K. Oelschlager and colleagues published in February 2008 in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, Laparoscopic Antireflux Surgery (LARS) provides effective relief in the long run. Younger patients and those who do not suffer from dysphagia are likely to experience superior results of the surgery.
- Antireflux surgery may also be implemented for hiatal hernia reparation which appears when the natural opening in the diaphragm from the esophagus is too large. Cost of hiatal hernia surgery in Mexico too is lower than the prices quoted in the US and Canada.
Advantages of Undergoing Antireflux Surgery in Mexico
Here are some of the upsides to undergoing treatment for GERD in Mexico:
- Low cost of GERD treatment through Nissen surgery in Mexico is one of the prime benefits. Many reputable hospitals in Mexico also offer flexible payment plans to their patients.
- There are numerous well-known hospitals specializing in Nissen surgery in Mexico which make use of the latest technology in treating their patients.
- You can choose from several JCI-accredited and ISO-certified hospitals in Mexico.
- Most of the renowned medical facilities in Mexico have English-speaking staff, thereby cutting down language barriers.
- Another advantage of undergoing surgery for GERD in Mexico is that the country is home to highly competent and experienced doctors and physicians. Many of them also have experience of practicing in neighboring US.
- For people living in the United States, Mexico is an ideal medical tourism destination because of its proximity. Americans can rein in their travel time and expenses by undergoing GERD treatment in Mexico.
- Before your surgery for GERD in Mexico, you can explore the exotic beaches and monuments galore the country and also enjoy its rich cultural heritage. There is nothing better than chasing your negative thoughts away with a walk in the welcoming, vibrant streets of the Mexican cities.
For all those who need an easy-on-the-pocket GERD treatment, antireflux surgery in Mexico can be a worthwhile alternative. Traveling to Mexico for the surgery can not only help cut costs, but also gives one the opportunity of seeking quality services provided by the highly skilled medical experts.