The knee is the largest joint in the human body, and because of this as well as its role in nearly all types of movement it is one of the joints most prone to injury. Tearing a meniscus is very painful and can cause considerable financial distress on top of physical damage. However, meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana, Mexico could be an affordable alternative to the highly priced procedure in the US or Canada.
Because the knee is so prone to injury, knee surgery such as arthroscopic mensicus repair is one of the most common medical procedures performed in the United States these days. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that the number of knee replacements performed in the United States totaled over 675,000 in 2009. However, the procedure can cost tens of thousands of dollars in the US, whereas one can get ACL and meniscus surgery in Tijuana for a fraction of the cost.
Why Get Meniscus Surgery in Tijuana?
- Tijuana, located right across the border from San Diego, California, is popular with tourists looking for everything from a fun night out to cardiac surgery or knee replacement for younger people.
- Aside from the convenience of Tijuana being so close to home especially for those in California and elsewhere in the Southwestern US the cost of meniscus repair in Mexico is also drastically cheaper than that north of the border.
- Medical Tourism Co. works with world class doctors in Mexico, many of whom have worked or received education in the United States and other developed countries.
- Many MTC network doctors also speak fluent English, so nothing will be lost in translation between doctor and patient.
- Furthermore, the Mexican hospitals with which MTC is associated are state-of-the-art facilities that house the latest in cutting edge technologies.Â
All in all, patients need not worry about the quality of medical care in Mexico, and can rest assured that such low meniscus repair prices in Tijuana are due to factors such as the low cost of living here, and not because of compromised quality.
Getting to Tijuana
- Tijuana’s proximity to the US means that it is easily accessible via multiple modes of transportation.
- It is possible to fly directly into Tijuana. Medical tourists coming to Tijuana for meniscus replacement can find many cheap flights to General Abelardo L. Rodriguez International Airport, which is about a half an hour from the city center. A ride in a taxi or van to downtown will cost 250 pesos (approx. 20 USD), and busses are available for cheaper. Many hospitals and clinics also provide airport pick-up service.
- Patients can also cross the border by land, either on foot or by car. Crossing the border on foot can be stressful, as there is usually a multitude of taxi drivers waiting on the Mexican side shouting prices and destinations in a pell-mell frenzy in order to get a fare. It is advised that patients cross on foot only if they have booked a ride through some border pick-up service.
- A passport is required for both land and air travel to Mexico. For patients without one, it is recommended that they start the application process at least two months before their flight, as the process can take up to 8 weeks.
The decision to have meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana is an easy one when one considers the benefits. Tijuana is easy to get to its basically right in the USA backyard and surgery there costs thousands of dollars less than at home.
Fill out the estimate request form on the right to receive more information about meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana.