If you suffer from severe pains, debilitating stiffness and limited movement caused by arthritis of or injury to your knee, undergoing knee replacement in Tijuana, Mexico can be an alternative worth giving a shot, especially if affordability is a key criterion for you. With its world-renowned medical facilities and highly trained surgeons, Tijuana has become a chosen destination for medical treatments including knee replacement surgery.
While there are no established statistics for the number of Americans heading to Mexico for treatments, a 2009 study by the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research estimated that nearly one million people from California alone chose Mexico as their medical tourism destination.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery, also known as knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure that replaces severely damaged knees to relieve pain and stiffness. In this surgery, the affected knee’s cartilage and bone is replaced with an artificial joint made of metal and plastic.
There are different kinds of knee replacement surgeries that depend on the extent of damage. Advanced surgical hospitals offer different procedures of orthopedic knee replacement in Tijuana, Mexico that include total and partial knee replacement, minimally invasive replacement and revision knee replacement.
Why Tijuana, Mexico for Replacement Knee Surgery?
Some of the advantages of opting for orthopedic knee replacement surgery in Mexico are:
- Affordable surgical procedures: Whether you go for single or bilateral knee replacement in Tijuana, Mexico, all you would be paying is a small percentage of the prices charged for like-procedures in the US. Low cost is not only restricted to orthopedic procedures such as knee and hip resurfacing in Mexico’s medical tourism behemoth. Be it getting a facelift or dental implants and crowns in Tijuana, you can avail easy on the pocket procedures.
- Top notch surgical facilities: The renowned hospitals in Mexico are comparable to their counterparts in the developed countries of the world. Adhering to international standards, surgeons use state-of-the-art technology and high-quality surgical equipment to perform partial and total knee replacement surgery in Tijuana, Mexico.
- World class surgeons: Mexico is home to a number of highly trained surgeons, many of whom are board-certified and widely published. Additionally, a large percentage of Mexican doctors are trained in the United States and speak English fluently.
- Minimal or zero waiting period: Patients can schedule their knee replacement surgery without waiting for long periods since surgeons and operating theaters are easily available.
- Low travel costs: Being geographically close to the US further cuts costs, making it even more attractive for getting otherwise pricey procedures such as arthritis knee surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. Tijuana is located only 17 miles from San Diego, California.
- Travel opportunities: With its friendly people and warm hospitality, there is an added advantage for undergoing surgical procedures in Tijuana, Mexico. The border town is known for its numerous charming touristy spots visiting which can allay any preoperative nervousness and speed up convalescence.
Preparing for Orthopedic Knee Replacement in Tijuana
- Most knee replacement surgeries require an average hospital stay of three to five days.
- Postoperative ambulation requires a walker or crutches until the knee heals. This process can take up to six weeks.
- Physical rehabilitation therapy is recommended for up to ten days after the surgery. Patients traveling for orthopedic knee replacement surgery to Tijuana, Mexico should bear in mind that they will be required to remain in the country for postoperative therapy.
Safety Tips on Medical Trip to Tijuana
- Before traveling for your medical treatment, do extensive research on the hospitals and surgeons in Tijuana.
- Medical tourists are spoilt for choices since a large number of world class hospitals have been built to meet the demands of patients seeking cheaper options for medical procedures including orthopedic treatments, cosmetic surgeries and even weight loss surgeries such as lap band and gastric bypass in Tijuana Mexico, among others.
- While traveling to and in Mexico, be cautious about your safety. Limit the amount of expensive jewelry and valuables you carry and wear.
- Most Mexican businesses accept the US dollar and major credit cards. Remember to notify your credit card company about your travel to Mexico.
- Do not use or carry illegal drugs.
- If you intend to rent a car, be aware that a valid driver’s license will be required. Additionally, the person renting the vehicle needs to be atleast 25 years old.
With its highly-rated medical centers, well-experienced surgeons, and low procedural costs, Tijuana, Mexico is a viable choice for knee replacement surgery. Add to this, the tourist attractions of the Mexican border town such as the Revolution Avenue and Arguello Square, the pristine beaches, and bullfight arenas, and you have an attractive surgical tourism package. Patients who seek orthopedic knee replacement surgery in Tijuana, Mexico can look forward to a restorative holiday after which they can return home with a spring to their step.