Below is the resume of Dr Rajkumar Palaniappan. Doctor Rajkumar is working as Consutant Surgical Gastroenterologist, Minimal Access & Obesity Surgeon in Apollo Victor Hospitals, Margao, Goa. He has done his surgerical training from U.S.A. and U.K. Dr. Rajkumar have around 8 years of experience in the field of minimal access surgery with work experience under the most famous laparoscopic surgeons.
He has assisted about 3620 surgeries of various specialities before becoming a senior consultant and started performing various procedures individually. As an independant Minimal Access Surgical consultant Doctor Rajkumar has handled total cases of 2294 surgeries.
Dr Rajkumar Palaniappan – Curriculum Vitae
Name: Rajkumar Palaniappan
Date of birth: 27 / 11/ 1972
Registration: 58794 / Tamilnadu Medical Council
Education & Training
- M.B.B.S. Rajah Muthiah Institute of Medical Sciences. December 1996
- M.S. (General Surgery) Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai November 2000
- M.M.A.S. (Masters in Minimal Access Surgery) Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, UK September 2003
- Immediate – to practise and to do research in advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Intermediate – to popularise day care and evidence based surgery
- Long term – to develop a department for minimal access surgery
Department Of Surgical Gastroenterology And Minimal Access Surgery – Consultant & Head, Apollo Victor Hospital, Margao, Goa Since October 2007
- Department Of Surgical Gastroenterology And Minimal Access Surgery – Consultant, March 2006 – October 2007, LifeLine Multispeciality Hospitals, Chennai
- DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY: ASSITANT PROFESSOR September 2004 – March 2006 SRMC & RI, Chennai
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (GENERAL and LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY) – October 2003 – September 2004 PSG IMS&R, Coimbatore
- RESEARCH RESIDENT – October 2002 – October 2003 Ninewells Hospital & Medical School University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
- SURGICAL REGISTRAR – 24 months November 2000 – October 2002 KMCH, Coimbatore
APPOINTMENT IN UNITED KINGDOM:
- Master degree in minimal Access Surgery (MMAS) with research resident cover in Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee.
- Practically experienced in all aspects of essential and advanced laparoscopic procedures such as CBD exploration, Choledochotomy, Fundoplication, Oesophagectomy, Sympathectomy, Liver resection, Radio-frequency ablation and Pancreatic surgery, and Colorectal surgeries.
- Underwent simulated and practical training in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and colonoscopy along with other clinical attachments.
- “Laparoscopic and Hand-assisted Liver surgery – Possibilities of resection” This is a ccomprehensive review of published literature on Laparoscopic and HALS management of liver disorders with a view to analyze the current evidence regarding feasibility, utility and safety of laparoscopy in complementing laparoscopy. This was under taken as a part fulfillment of Masters Course under supervision of Professor A.Cuschieri with a view for submitting to a peer journal.
- “Comparison of use of dominant and non-dominant hands in HALS” This study in the emerging field of Hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery (HALS) was carried out in the department of Surgical Skills Unit in Ninewells hospital, United Kingdom with 30 surgeons from different parts of Europe, America and Asia. Task performance of intra-corporeal bowel suturing using the special Dundee Multi-tool was analysed and there was a significant improvement in task performance using the dominant hand inside the abdomen in HALS. Multitool proved to be very promising and both were recommended for HALS requiring extensive suturing skills.
- “Bile duct injuries – Evaluation and management” – M.S. dissertation The study was aimed to evaluate the cause of bile duct injuries and to facilitate appropriate management depending on various clinical presentation. This study was done with 22 cases referred to SRMC & RI Hospital, Chennai, India from various centers throughout the country for a period of three years. Failure to indenty the anatomy was considered to be the commonest cause of injury with laparoscopic cholecystectomy contributing for the majority. Pre-operative resuscitation was found mandatory for late presentation of bile duct injuries. Immediate treatment was found to produce best results with Hepatico-jejunostomy being the gold standard in the treatment.
- Fellow International College of Surgeons (FICS) in Surgical Gastroenterology
– International Member-at-large
– International College of Surgeons, Illanios, USA
- Fellowship in Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS)
– Kovai Medical Center and Hospital, Coimbatore, India
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES)
- Obesity Surgery Society of India (OSSI)
- Metabolic Society of Asia (MSA)
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA)
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES)
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
- CHIKITSA RATTAN AWARD Outstanding achievement in the field of Medicine Presented by ‘His Excellency’ Bishman Narayan Singh, 22 May 2007, NewDelhi.
- TAMILNADU GOVERNMENT AWARD CERTIFICATE For excellent medical service to the society Presented by ‘Thiruvallur District Collector’, 29 November 1999, Chennai.
- Optimal port placement for laparoscopic surgery & its clinical correlation Rajkumar NP, JS Rajkumar, Indian Journal of Surgery (Publication pending)
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy JS Rajkumar, Rajkumar NP, AMASI Web publication, August 2007
- Modified “fundus-firsrt” laparoscopic cholecystectomy – A safer approach Rajkumar NP, John AC Thanakumar, Surgical Endoscopy: 18:2004: S145
- Basic and Advanced Laparoscopic Procedures – International video edition John ACT, Rajkumar NP, MIS-ICON, October 2001
- Simulated Training on Proximate Staplers Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, Chennai, 13 December 2003
- Postgraduate Course in Bariatric Surgery 1st EAES European Endoscopic Surgery week, Glasgow, 16 June 2003
- Hands on Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Procedures (HELP) Course Kovai Medical Center and Hospital, Coimbatore, September 2002.
- Ist National Upper GI & NOTES Workshop PSG SURGICON 2008, Coimbatore, India, 1st & 4Th May 2008
- 1st International Workshop in Recent Advances in Minimal Access Surgery WALS 2008, New Delhi, India, 13 March 2008
- 1st Natonal Laproscopic Bariatric animal workshop OSSICON 2007, Chennai, India, 18 March 2007
- Laproscopic colorectal animal workshop PSGSURGICON 2006, Coimbatore, India, 7 December 2006
- Bariatric Surgery course PSGSURGICON 2005, Coimbatore, India, 22 February 2005
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery workshop Calicut General Hospital, Calicut, India, 14 July 2002
- Gastro-intestinal Laparoscopic surgery KMC Hospital, Coimbaore, India, 9 August 200