With the rising cost of healthcare in the United States and Europe, many people are traveling to avail cataract surgery with multifocal lens implants in Istanbul, Turkey due to the lower cost of the procedure here. For the nearly 22 million Americans over 40 who, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, suffer from cataracts, cataract correction in Istanbul can be an excellent cost-saving option.
Medical tourism in Turkey is becoming increasingly popular due to the country’s excellent hospitals and low cost of treatment.
About Cataract Surgery
Patients considering treatment for cataract in Istanbul, Turkey should begin by researching what a cataract is and how it is treated. Cataracts are a form of vision impairment in which the lens of the eye becomes clouded over. Treatment for severe cataracts involves the removal of the lens, using laser, ultrasound, or traditional surgical techniques.
The damaged lens is then replaced by a pseudophakic implant (meaning it takes the place of the natural lens); known as a multifocal or intraocular lens (IOL), the implant can be corrective, greatly reducing the patient’s need for glasses after the procedure.
Many doctors in Turkey have access to the most sophisticated pseudophakic IOLs for cataract correction in Istanbul. This makes the procedure both a proven treatment for cataracts and an alternative to LASIK eye surgery in Turkey for patients whose eyesight has deteriorated too much to make that procedure feasible.
Why get Cataract Surgery in Turkey?
With many options for low cost cataract surgery abroad, why should you consider cataract eye surgery in Istanbul, Turkey?
- The cost of cataract surgery in Turkey represents significant savings compared to the United States and Europe, potentially as much as 50%.
- Additionally, the cost of lens for cataract correction in Turkey is cheaper as well.
- Turkey’s hospitals are clean and modern, comparable to facilities in more developed countries; many Turkish hospitals are internationally-accredited or have affiliations with Western institutions such as Harvard and Johns Hopkins medical schools.
- Turkey has made a significant investment in its healthcare infrastructure, with the specific aim of attracting medical tourists; as a result, healthcare industry research firm RNCOS in its April 2011 report titled “Emerging Medical Tourism in Turkey” states that “the country’s medical tourism industry has unprecedentedly grown during the past few years”.
- Traveling for a multifocal lens implant for cataract correction in Turkey provides a unique opportunity to visit a fascinating country with a rich cultural history.
Often considered the crossroads of Europe and Asia, Turkey is a bustling, modern country with much to recommend it to both medical and traditional tourists. Patients planning to travel for cataract surgery or similar procedures, such as cataract surgery and corneal transplantation in Turkey may find the following information useful as they prepare their trip:
- Istanbul and Ankara, Turkey’s capital, are the country’s largest cities. Both host international airports which offer regular flights to Europe, Asia and North America.
- Turkey’s currency is the lira, which is made up of 100 kuruş; bills and coins are issued in denominations of up to 200 lira.
- The country’s official language is Turkic, though many doctors offering intraocular lens for cataract correction in Istanbul have received training abroad, and are likely to speak some English.
- Istanbul, like much of Turkey, has a temperate climate, with average summer temperatures rarely topping 30˚ Celsius. Winters are cooler and often snowy. The city is known for having high humidity year-round.
- Famous tourist attractions in Turkey include the Mediterranean beaches, the world-famous Blue Mosque of Istanbul, the ancient cities of Ephesus and Pergamon, and the unique rock formations of Cappadocia.
Severe or persistent cataracts are a serious medical condition which can limit your quality of life and, if left untreated, lead to permanent vision loss. Many patients find cataract surgery with multifocal lens implants in Istanbul – Turkey to be an effective and economic treatment option, as well as a chance to explore one of the world’s most historic countries.
Medical Tourism Corporation facilitates low-cost eye surgeries in Turkey. For more information, fill-out the estimate-request form on the right.