You have been watching what goes into your mouth. You have been regular with your workouts. Yet, you find yourself piling on extra pounds.
Bad dietary habits and a sedentary lifestyle are just a tip of the ice-berg. There are a number of things which you do not even remotely associate with weight gain that could be adding inches to your frame.
Take a look at this video which enlists some of the surprising reasons which could be making you overweight:
#Light Exposure at Night
#Low Protein Diet
Do you find anything common between them?
Let’s have a look.
#1 Common Cold
Adenovirus – 36 (AD-36), a virus that causes common cold makes fat cells multiply.
Result – Weight Gain
#2 Light Exposure at Night
It disrupts biological clock.
It affects metabolism and causes weight gain.
In a research study, mice exposed to night-light shifted their feeding timings.
They gained weight despite not consuming more calories.
Because disrupted biological clock reduces metabolism-aiding hormones.
Cut light exposure at night:
- Block street light
- Use sleep masks
- Avoid TV and computers in bedroom
#3 Eat Your Protein!
We have a string appetite for protein.
Instinctively, we eat more to make up for more protein levels. Hence, a low protein diet results in more calorie consumption.
Additional reasons to eat protein:
- It keeps you full for longer
- And you can eat your fill without gaining inches
#4 Plastic Packaging
Can common plastic food packaging material make you overweight?
It contains endocrine disrupting chemicals that may add to your weight.
One such culprit – Bisphenol – A (also known as BPA)
It is commonly used in lining food and beverage containers.
It leaches into the body and increases the production of fat cells.
#5 Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners promote weight gain by:
– Stimulating hunger
– Increasing carb cravings
– Promoting fat storage
These sweeteners fool your body into thinking it is going to get sugar.
And when it doesn’t get sugar, it craves for more carbohydrates, which means you eat more.
Result – Extra Pounds
- Adenovirus – “Is obesity caused by an adenovirus?” by Nikhil V. Dhurandhar – http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/766526
- Night-time Light Exposure – “Nighttime Light May Alter Circadian Rhythm, Lead to Obesity” by Marlene Busko – http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823114
- Plastic Packaging – Lang IA, Galloway TS, Scarlett A, et al. Association of Urinary Bisphenol A Concentration With Medical Disorders and Laboratory Abnormalities in Adults. JAMA. 2008;300(11):1303-1310. doi:10.1001/jama.300.11.1303
- Artificial Sweeteners – “5 Surprising Factors That Make You Pack on Pounds” – Dr. Mercola
- Eat Your Protein – “Little-Known Secrets of Staying Slim – Reader‘s Digest – April 2014″
For more information on ways to tackle obesity surgically, contact us through the quote-request form on the right.