Pectus Excavatum Surgery Overview
- Nuss Proceedure is a minimally invasive surgery for treating Pectus Excavatum, a congenital deformity in which the ribs and sternum grows abnormally giving a sunken or funnel shaped appearance to the chest.
- Suggested for children and young adults.
- In this procedure:
- A concave stainless steel bar is inserted into the body of the patient with the help of two incisions done on the sides of the chest.
- The bar is flipped to push the sternum out thereby bringing it to normal shape.
- The bar is fixed to the ribs to prevent any dislocation.
- It remains there for a period of 2 years or more if required.
- This procedure is clinically proved to be safe and effective procedure for treatment of Pectus excavatum.
The cost of Nuss Procedure in India is US $ 7500-8500. It includes:
- All medical expenses like surgeon’s fees, radiologist’s fees etc.
- Required hospital stay for the patient and one accompanying guest.
- Pre and post operative guidance.
- Private transportation for all medical purposes.
- Transportation between airport, hotel and hospital.
- Passport and visa Assistance.
- Assistance with tourism activities if desired and permitted by surgeon.
- Any charges for complications that might arise during or after surgery.
- Any non-standard tests that might be required.
Pre Procedure Steps
- A complete health examination is required.
- Chest measurement and physical examinations are done to check if this surgery is essential.
- Further evaluations like cardiac status, pulmonary function, and CT scan are also required.
Post Pectus Excavatum Surgery Case
- Deep breathing is suggested.
- The patients are strictly advised to avoid any kind of rigorous physical activities, exercise, playing outdoor games that involve running or any other form of exercise for 6 weeks.
- Assistance with movement is required. A proper guidance will be given to the patient to move in a particular manner to avoid risks of bar displacement.
Risks Involved and Side Effects
- The most common risk associated with it is Air in the chest (pneumothorax).This does not require any treatment. Aggressive breathing is suggested for faster recovery.
- Non-medical tips:
- Passport: Required
- Visa: Except for citizens of Nepal and Bhutan, visa is required to visit India.
- Helpful language tips: Hindi is the most frequently spoken language. Due to influence of western world, English is also widely spoken. Some of the useful phrases in Hindi are:
- Hello: Namaste
- You: Aap
- Me: Main
- Good: Acha
- Bad: Bura
- Thank you: Dhanyavad
- Medical tips:
- A pre-operative evaluation will be suggested to determine the patient’s eligibility for the surgery. For overseas patients, the evaluation is based on a medical questionnaire, a chest measurement and photograph of the chest.
- The rest of the tests are conducted upon reaching the surgery destination.
- The surgeon should be contacted to get all pre-operative preparations guidelines.
Medical Tourism Corporation facilitates affordable Nuss Procedure or Pectus Excavatum Surgery at various hospitals in India & many other world class destinations abroad. Fill out the free estimate request form for a free quote & more information.