Gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium is becoming a popular choice for many West Europeans looking for low cost bariatric surgeries closer home.
When one thinks of medical tourism, value-for-money healthcare destinations such as Mexico, Thailand, and India pop up in the mind, but medical tourism in Belgium too is an evolving industry and offers low priced, yet quality treatments which are just perfect for people who don’t want to or physically can’t travel half way round the world.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery – a Brief Overview
- Gastric Sleeve or Sleeve Gastrectomy (SG) is usually performed on people with a body mass index (BMI) exceeding 40.
- The way it works is that a portion of the stomach is removed before being stapled together using surgical staples.
- It helps eliminate hunger pangs and significantly reduces the capacity of the stomach itself so it’s easier for the person in question to lose weight and keep it off.
- Its success in this manner is duly noted in the study Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity by A. A. Gumbs, M. Gagner, G. Dakin, and A. Pomp published in the July 2007 edition of the journal Obesity Surgery, as per which “Patients experience excellent weight loss after SG alone, and multiple recent reports have documented SG as single therapy in the treatment of morbid obesity.”
Why Go for Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Belgium?
- Belgium has one of the best health care systems in the Western world.
- The cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium can be between 40-50 percent less than in many other countries such as the US and the UK.
- Another advantage is getting treated at clean and spacious Belgian hospitals with minimal to non-existent waiting times.
- Belgian Doctors are some of the best health care professionals in the world.
- Easily accessible for many westerners and cheap to travel to and from due to EU travel laws.
- A variety of different options, in addition to gastric sleeve gastrectomy such as gastric bypass and lap band surgery in Belgium.
- All doctors speak fluent English so it’s perfect for people from the UK, the US, and Canada.
- Belgium’s salubrious climate can pace up recovery.
- Interesting and historical country to enjoy a holiday in.
Cost of Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Belgium
- Low cost gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium is available for people from all areas of the world.
- The gastric sleeve surgery cost in Belgium can be as low as half the costs in the USA.
- Factors such as travel and leisure should be taken into account before planning your medical holiday.
- If you have a friend or a relation accompanying you for the obesity surgery in Belgium, factor in the cost of stay of the accompanying guest too.
Belgian Medical Tourism Process
- The medical tourism process is simple and easy to follow. In fact, this process takes less time and less effort than planning a conventional holiday. The process can be summarized into four easy steps.
- Decide on which area of Belgium you want to travel to and then planning your holiday by looking at free medical tour estimates.
- Have all of your documents in order before packing and preparing to travel to Belgium.
- Arrive and have your gastric sleeve bariatric surgery in Belgium carried out by world class surgeons.
- Recuperate and enjoy your Belgian holiday before returning home with a successful and complication-free surgery under your belt.
Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy in Belgium – Some Handy Tips
- Beware of showing off your cash and valuables in cities like Brussels and Antwerp, as well as airports.
- Avoid pickpockets by not keeping anything in your back pockets.
- If at all possible, stay clear of traveling at night.
- Inform the hospital beforehand if you have any specific needs before arriving.
Go through patient feedback and testimonials about hospitals in Belgium before opting for a facility for your bariatric surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery in Belgium is a worthwhile option if you want a low-cost surgery without having to travel half way around the world to obtain it. Just like in places such as Thailand and India, you can expect to have both world renowned doctors and quality care at your disposal at affordable prices so you can return home happy and healthy with a not-so-empty wallet.