With the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting U.S. obesity rates as high as 33.8% of the adult population, it’s no wonder people are flying abroad for gastric bypass in Belgium. Belgium is known for its high quality medical care, skilled doctors, short waiting time and low cost healthcare system.
When patients receive treatment, they can claim a majority of their treatment cost back. Depending on the doctor, the gastric bypass cost in Belgium can be 50% less than in the United States. The low cost of gastric bypass in Belgium coupled with the top caliber medical system is attracting patients from around the world.
An Overview of Gastric Bypass
- Gastric bypass is one type of bariatric surgery, otherwise known as weight loss surgery.
- During gastric bypass, the abdomen is divided into two portions: the small upper pouch and the larger lower pouch.
- The small intestine is then rearranged so that it attaches to the smaller portion of the stomach.
- Food will travel directly from the small pouch to the small intestine, bypassing the larger part of the stomach and first part of the small intestine.
- After the surgery, the patient will be able to eat only small portions of food at a time.
- Gastric bypass is also referred to as laparoscopic gastric bypass, bariatric gastric bypass, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, and simply Roux en Y.
Are you a Candidate for Gastric Bypass?
Before you plan to undergo laparoscopic gastric bypass in Belgium, it is important that you check your candidature. To qualify for gastric bypass, the candidate should pass the following guidelines:
- Your BMI is 35-39.9 and you have medical problems related to obesity, such as type 2 diabetes.
- You have already attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise without success.
- Your BMI is 40+.
- You have generally good health and have undergone a physical exam.
- Prior to the surgery, you should have been treated for any underlying psychological conditions that may be contributing to obesity.
- You are willing to make serious lifestyle changes to your diet and exercise regimen.
Benefits of Gastric Bypass Bariatric Surgery in Belgium
As per the World Health Organization’s Global Health Observatory Data Repository, Belgium has 31,274 physicians across the country. This number is increasing as the medical tourism industry in Belgium grows. Below is a portrait of why so many tourists are getting the gastric bypass procedure in Belgium:
- Belgium has a low population and high number of physicians. As a result, the waiting time for surgery is minimal.
- If you suffer from severe medical problems because of obesity, you will not have to wait as long as you would in the United States or United Kingdom.
- According to the National Health Service of the United Kingdom’s report Accessing healthcare in Belgium, Belgium’s healthcare system will reimburse you up to 75% of your original medical cost.
- Even the cost of gastric banding in Belgium is low compared to other developed countries of the world.
- You can shop around for the right doctor who fits your needs for gastric bypass in Belgium, since the Belgian insurance system allows patients to choose their doctors.
- Doctors in Belgium are renowned for their expert skills and professional aftercare. They use the most up-to-date technology to promote speedy recovery.
- Belgium is a beautiful, safe country that’s rich with culture. You can view medieval buildings in Bruges, view the Lions of Waterloo or view art in Brussels.
Safety Tips for Medical Tourists in Belgium
Although Belgium is generally safe, it is always good to take precautions when you are in a foreign country. Here are some tips to help ensure your medical trip goes as smoothly as possible:
- Conduct careful research about the doctors and hospitals you want to visit. Call and ask to speak to the doctors, read reviews and obtain a gastric bypass quote.
- Don’t walk alone at night in Brussels or along the outskirts of Antwerp.
- Watch out for public demonstrations in Belgium.
Gastric bypass in Belgium can help those struggling with obesity regain their energy and confidence. As a result of Belgium’s quality healthcare system, you will receive an expertly performed surgery at a fraction of the price that you would pay in other countries. Ask for information on gastric bypass surgery in Belgium from Medical Tourism Corporation.