Dr. Shivanna Venkataramana, Chronic Pain specialist and Accupuncturist from India, obtained his Masters in Anaesthesia from PGIMER (Chandigarh). He got his fellowship in Interventional Pain Procedures(FIPP), awarded by the World Institute of Pain, and completed his training in Anaesthesia and Chronic Pain from the United Kingdom.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Epidural Steroid Injection
- Facet Joint Injection
- Stellate Ganglion Block
- Cancer Pain Management
- Superior Hypogastric Plexus Block
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Celiac Plexus Block
- Occipital Nerve Block:
- Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block
- Sacro Iliac Joint Injection
- Lumbar Sympathetic Block
- Trigger Point Injections
- Intralesional and Intra-articular Injections
- FIPP – Apr 2010 – World Institue of Pain, Cleveland, United States
- FRCA – Oct 2007 – Royal college of Anaesthesia, United kingdom.
- MD (Anaesthesia) – July2002 – Postgraduate Institue of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
- MBBS – July 1998 – Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore India
PRESENT AND PAST APPOINTMENTS
- Feb 2011 To Till date – 7 months – Consultant (Anaesthesia and chronic pain) – Broomfield Hospital Chelmsford, UK
- Mar 2008 To Jan 2011 – 34 months – Specialist Doctor (Anaesthesia and chronic pain) – Broomfield Hospital Chelmsford, UK
- Nov 2004 To Feb 2008 – 40months – Senior house officer (Anaesthesia and chronic pain) – Broomfield Hospital Chelmsford, UK
- Sep 2003 To May 2004 – 9 months – Lecturer(Anaesthetics) – M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, India
- May 2003 To Aug 2004 – 3 months – Registrar(Anaesthetics) – Sagar Apollo Hospital Bangalore, India
- Jul 2002 To May 2003 – 11 months – Senior Resident(Anaesthetics) – Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
- Jul 1997 To Jul 1998 – 12 months – House officer – Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, India.
SUMMARY OF WORK EXPERIENCE
Consultant (Anaesthesia and chronic pain) Broomfield hospital:
Currently recruited as consultant in the department of anesthethesia and chronic pain, Broomfield Hospital. Broomfield hospital being a regional centre for Burns, Plastic surgery, Hand Trauma, Obstetrics and gyaenacology, Head and Neck, Upper Gastro intestinal and maxillo-fascial surgery give me ample oppurtunity to anaesthetise for surgeries like reconstructive burn injuries, flaps, re-implantation of digits, radical neck dissections, oesophagectomy, elective and emergency ceserean section.
These has made me profficient in managing difficult airways using difficult airway kit including fibreoptic. Vascular surgery is well established in the hospital, which has exposed me to cardiovascular patients coming for vascular surgeries, which include, carotid endarterectomy, EVAS, aortic aneurysm and femor-popliteal bypass. Hand surgery, orthopaedics and trauma (plastic, orthopaedics and maxillo fascial)) give me ample oppurtunities to keep up with my passion for regional blocks. I am profficient in using ultrasound for regional blocks which include axillary, supraclavicular, interscalene, wrists, TAB, femoral, popliteal and sciatic. I am actively involved in the audit, research and teaching in the department. I make the rota for the specialist doctors and registrar.
As a chronic pain specialist, I am well versed with both outpatient care and the interventional pain procedures of chronic pain patients. I do various interventional procedures, which include, epidural, epidurogram, caudal epidural, facet joint injections at lumbar, thoracic, and cerviacl spine, radiofrequency denervations of facet joints at lumbar, thoracic, and cerviacl levels, roots blocks, pulsed denervation of roots, lumbar sypathectomy, coeliac plexus block, stellate ganglion block, sphenopalatine block, suprascapular nerve block, injections to various joints, trigger point injections.
I have been involved in the pain management programme with multi disciplinary teams. Being an accupuncturist my self is an additional asset in the management of chronic pain. I am also very keen in other forms of pain management which include TENS, Mirror therapy, physiotherapy and psychotherapy.
Experience in Day care centre: I have been working past 7years in a day care set up, anaesthetizing patients from various specialities, including general surgery, urology, plastics, orthopaedics, gynaecology, opthalmic and ENT. All the pain procedures are limited to hospital stay of 4-5 hrs. I have done audit on patient satisfaction in day care, which helped me lot to understand the logistics of day care centre and patient safety, satisfaction and comfort.
Specialist Doctor( Anaesthetics and chronic pain) Broomfield Hospital.
I worked has a specialist doctor in the department of Anaesthesia and chronic pain, Broomfield hospital for 34 months. During this period I obtained my fellowships in Anaesthesia and chronic pain. I worked in all the specialities of anaesthesia independantly and got further training in chronic pain.
Senior House Officer( Anaesthetics) Broomfield hospital
Broomfield hospital in chelmsford is the main hospital site housing Accident and emergency services and is the regional centre for burns, plastics and vascular. St John`s hospital which is part of the trust is the main centre for maternity and gynaecology services. I received 40 months of formal training in anaesthesia and chronic pain.
Lecturer (Anesthetics) M S Ramaiah Medical College
M S Ramaiah Medical College is 1500 bed multispeciality, teaching hospital serving as a referral centre to southern districts of karnataka. I worked for 4 months in intensive care unit, 2 months in general surgery, 2 months in urology and 1 month in neurosurgery. During this period, it was my responsibility to manage the cases independently and guide the post graduate students.
Registrar (Anesthetics) Sagar Apollo hopital
Sagar Apollo is a multispeciality 300 bedded hospital. I worked for 1 month each in general surgery, orthopedic and gynaecology. I managed the cases independently and under the supervision of consultants. Teaching residents and supporting staff was part of my responsibilities.
Senior Residency (PGIMER)
I was exposed to the same clinical cases as during the residency, but with a higher level of responsibility. With the guidance of consultants, I was allowed to independently manage the emergency operation theatre and the ICU. Also involved in teaching the junior residents and anaesthesia technicians.
Anaesthesia Residency (PGIMER)
I did my residency (3 years) in anaesthesia at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER). It is one of the two most prestigious apex referral hospitals in India, with 1300 beds and 26 operating theatres. It is also a designated research centre.
The residency involved providing anaesthesia care, initially under supervision and then independently, for elective and emergency surgical procedures in the various specialties – general surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, plastic surgery, orthopaedics, ENT and ophthalmic surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, urology, renal transplantation and maxillofacial surgery.
Obsevership( Chronic Pain) Cleveland clinic (USA).
It was a great pleasure and learning experience for getting an oppurtunity to be an Obsever in Cleveland Clinic. Even though my stay there was for a short duration, it gave me a chance to look how Chonic pain was managed in the premier Institue. I also got an oppurtunity to observe, procedures like spinal cord stimulators and vertebroplasty.
All the audits were presented in departmental and hospital audit meetings:
- Accupuncture in chronic pain, Sep 2010.
- Radiofrequency lesioning of facet joints, Feb 2009.
- Clear fluids in peri-operative period, Broomfield hospital, Dec 2006.
- Patient satisfaction in day stay unit.Broomfield hospital, Oct 2005.
- Participated in two national anaesthesia audits : National Audit of Major Complications Of Spinal and Epidural Anaesthesia and National Confidential Acute Pain Critical Incident Audit.
- Evaluation of tapentadol, Multi centre trial involving more than sixty centres across UK, Europe and Australia, 2010.
- Efficacy and safety of epidural ketamine added to Fentanyl-Bupivacaine mixture for post operative pain relief,Dec 2001. Thesis submitted in partial fulfilment for the degree of M.D.(PGIMER, India)
- Sequential changes in pulmonary function following inhalation burn injuries, Sep 2008.(Burns unit, Chelmsford).
- NIH Web-based training course “Protecting Human Research Participants”. Dec 2009
DEPARTMENTAL ANAESTHETIC MEETING, BROOMFIELD
- Demonstration of Ultrasound guided regional block and chronic pain procedures.
- Oxygen: Atmosphere to Mitochondria
- Anaesthesia for non-cardiac surgeries in cardiac patients.
- Intresting case: Allergic to succinyl choline in an emergency LSCS!!!
- Pharmacology of muscle relaxants
- Awareness during general anaesthesia
- Physiology and Management of neuropathic pain
- Nice guidelines for the management of chronic pain
- Faculty for the hand surgery course held bi-annually by the Royal College of Surgeons
- Certificate of teaching experience from PGIMER.
- Lecturer in department of Anaesthesiology at M S Ramiah Teaching Hospital
- Invited as a faculty for the chronic pain workshop, South Asian Anaesthesia Congress. August 2011,Bangalore.
COURSES AND CONFERENCES ATTENDED
- Spinal cord stimulation study day, RCOA, UK, 2010
- Ultrasound guided chronic pain management, Hitchin, UK, 2010
- Interventional Techniques in Chronic pain, Review Course lectures and cadaver workshop, Cleveland, USA, 2010
- East anglian pain society meet, Cambridge, UK,2008.
- International Society of Burn Injuries, Montreal, Canada, Sep 2008
- Foundation course in Accupuncture, BMAS, London, UK, Sep 2008
- ALS; University hospital of Staffordshire, UK, Jan 2007
- EPLS; Great Ormond Street, London, UK, Dec 2006.
- ALERT (Acute Lifesaving Emergency Recognition and Treatment; Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, UK, Jan 2006
- ATLS; Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, UK, Oct 2005.
- First Biennial Workshop on Anaesthetic techniques, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India, Nov 2001.
- Research Methodology and Biostatistics, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India, April 2001.
- Sequential changes in pulmonary function following inhalation burn injuries, Sep 2008. International Society of Burn Injuries, Montreal, Sep 2008.
SKILLS AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Friendly, cooperative, enjoy working in a team.
Submit free quote request on the right for considering Cancer Pain Management in India by Dr. Shivanna Venkataramana and other world class doctors.