Dr. De Bruyne Christiaan is an experienced bariatric surgeon, he is licenced for general surgery in Belgium, England, Dubai & Ireland. He has been performing gastric lap band surgery in Belgium for the last 10 years and has done about 3,500 of these banding procedures.
- General surgeon in Belgium from 1996; license number 45651 (Medical Council Brabant/Belgium)
- Full surgeon (General Medical Council, England) from 2005 (ref. 6135672)
- Full surgeon (United Emirates, Dubai) from 2004
- Doctor in Ireland from 2007
- 1983- 1990: Medical school at the university of KULeuven; passed first class with distinction.
- 1990-96: Studied general surgery under the guidance of Dr D. Claeys in Ghent who is still one of the leading laparoscopic surgeons in Belgium. The last two years of the training were specific to laparoscopic and oncology surgery.
Postgraduate courses/Workshops attended:
- 1996: Anterior Endoscopic Thoracic and Lumbar Interventions, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 1997: European Course on Laparoscopic Surgery, Brussels;
Controversies in colon end rectal surgery, Nijmegen, The Netherlands;
Workshop on Sub-intimal Angioplasty, The Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK;
- 1998: Gastric Banding Workshop, Laparoscopic Technique, Ghent, Belgium
- 1999: Congress colorectal symposium, Fort Lauderdale, Wexner
- 2001: Workshop on obesity surgeryÂ (Saint Pierre Brussel)
- 2002: Workshop on carotic dilatation, Derdermonde (Boston Scientific);
Workshop on gastric bypass, Gothenburh (Ethicon);
Gastric banding: beyond the learning curve, Ghent;
Lap band symposium (Inamed/Bioenteric);
Workshop on obesity surgeryÂ (Saint Pierre Brussel);
Laparoscopic approach to cancer (Bordeau);
Congress colorectal symposium, Fort Lauderdale, Wexner
- 2003: Workshop on obesity surgery (Saint Pierre Brussel);
Congress colorectal symposium, Fort Lauderdale, Wexner;
Congress RBSS Society, Oostende;
Workshop on laparoscopic colorectal cancer, IRCAD;
Workshop on laparoscopic obesity surgery, IRCAD;
IFSO World Congress on Obesity surgery, Salamanca
- 2004: Course on Bariatric Surgery, Cadiere, Himpens, Brussel Sint Pierre;
Symposium International de Chirurgie Laproscopique, BordeauÂ
- 2006: Masters in Laparoscopic Bypass Surgery, Bruges, Belgium
- 2007: IRCAD N.O.T.E.S. Hands-on-course
Workshop on Laparoscopic Mini-gastric Bypass by Dr Carbajo;
Postgraduate course in Bariatric Surgery: ‘The Morbid Obesity: state-of-the-art’Â Luxembourg
- Worked for a year in 1993 at the Saint Antonius Hospital in Nieuwegein, The Netherlands. The Hospital is one of the most famous hospitals for thoracic and vascular surgery. There I began work on the thoracoscopic program.
- Worked as a general surgeon (with the sub-specialisation of advanced laparoscopic procedures) in 1996 at AZ Jan Portaels Hospital in Vivoorde (near Brussels), Belgium. Very soon, the surgical treatment of morbid obesity became a major part of my work.
- Operated on more than 2,800Â obese patients with a laparoscopic adjustable silicone banding andÂ laparoscopic bypass operations. I used most of the available gastric bands in Belgium. They all have a CE accreditation.
- Worked at The Emirates Hospital in Dubai from 2004 – 2007. IÂ set up the Laparoscopic Adjustable Silicone Banding program there and now we are one of the fastest growing surgical obesity services in the Gulf.Â From 2006-07, we performed more than 200 gastric band operations.
- Have been doing pre- and post-operative consultations for obesity surgery in Scotland (Edinburgh) and London from November 2005.
- The effect of the patient’s position on proctographic measurements,1989, Acta Gasteroenerologica Belgica;
- Intraobsever variation in the radiological measurement of the anorectal angle, Penninckx F, De Bruyne C, Lestar B, Kerremans R,1991,Gasterointest-Radial, 16(1) p 73-6;
- Observer variation in the radiological measurement of the anorectal angle, Penninckx F, De Bruyne C, Lestar B, Kerremans R;
- Valvular sphincter substitutes: an experimental study on dogs, De Bruyne C , Lestar B, Penninckx F, Kerremans R, Department of Abd. Surgery KUL;
- L’epiploplastie de principe associÃ©e Ã la resection abdominoperiÃ©ale aspects tomo-densitometrique, D. Claeys, C. De Bruyne, K. Hendrick, A. Flamme, J. Vercruysse, Cancer du rectum, 1990 Journal de pathology digestive;
- CT-Imaging for follow-up after colo-anal pouch for low rectal carcinoma,Â International Society of University of Colo-rectal Surgeons, Creta, October 1992;
- Video: “Near total pleurectomy and bullae resection for pneumothorax, thoracoscopic resection,” Congres de la SociÃ©tÃ© Thoracique et Cardio-vascular de la Langue Francaise Juni, 1992;
- A Simplified Thoracoscopic Technique in Performing Pleurectomie for Spontaneous and Recurrent Pneumothorax, C. De Bruyne, R.G.S.A. Vanderscheuren, H.A.Van Swieten Nieuwegein, The Netherlands, D.Claeys, F.Muysoms, A.Flamme, Ghnet, Belgium, Journal of The American College of Surgeons December 1994 V 179:741-743;
- Laparoscopic Nissenfundoplication, C.De Bruyne, D. Claeys. Tijdschrft AIEVV, June 1995 p 327-332;
- Laparoscopic total proctocolectomy followed by reconstruction with an ilial-pouch-anal anastomosis, D.Claeys, C.De Bruyne, SociÃ©tÃ© Royale Belge de Chirurgie, December 1996, Brussels.
- Member of SociÃ©tÃ© Belge de Chirurgie Vasculaire.
- Member of The Royal Belgian Society for Surgery (RBSS).
- Member of SociÃ©tÃ© FranÃ§aise de Chirurgie Endoscopique.
- Member of European Association for Endoscopic Surgery.
- Member of the Dubai Endoscopic Suregons’ Club and the Emirates Society of Laparo-endoscopic Surgeons.
- European Association for Transluminal Surgery.
Letters of recommendation for performing the laparoscopic adjustable silicone band till 2004 from:
- Allergan Inamed Bioenteric: Lap. Band 9.75, 11, Vanguard,AP (>500).
- Heliogast: HeliogastAdvance and Evolution (>2000)
- Midband (not translated) (>270)
- Cousin Bioband, Couin Small (>650)
- AMI band short, medium, large (>350)
- Obtech Ethicon band (>150)
Submit free quote request on right for considering adjustable gastric banding surgery by Dr. De Bruyne Christiaan and other world class doctors.