Doctor Naresh Trehan is one of the most experienced and respected cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon in India. He is considered to be one of the India’s most successful cardiac surgeons. He has received top Indian civil awards Padam Bhushan and Padam Shri by the President of India in recognition for this work in the field of medicine and surgery.
He did his MBBS from KG Medical College, Lucknow in 1968. He has his training in general and cardiac surgery from New York University. He held various important academic and clinical positions in US before he returned to India.
Dr. Naresh is currently the Chairman and Managing Director of Medanta – The Medcity a multi super-specialty hospital located at Gurgaon (Delhi, NCR region). Hospital is spread over 45 acres, is a 1500 bed hospital with 45 operating theatres, catering to 20 specialties.
He has performed more than 48,000 heart surgeries which includes surgeries of coronary artery, valves, carotid arteries, aortic aneurysm, cardiomyoplasty, cardiac arrhythmias, myocardial total arterial revascularization, transmyocardial laser revascularisation, least invasive coronary artery surgery on a beating heart, reduction ventriculoplasty (Batista Operation), heart port access surgery and robotically assisted cardiac surgery with excellent results. Some of these operations were performed first time in India.
Dr Trehan also has special interest in training, education and research programs. He has given post doctoral training on international standards to many surgeons.
- M.B.B.S. K.G. Medical College Lucknow, 1968 U.P., India
- Diplomat, American Board of Surgery U.S.A 1977
- Diplomate, American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery U.S.A. 1979
- CMD Global Health Private Limited (Medicity)
- Senior Consultant Cardiovascular Surgery at Apollo Hospital, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi from June 1, 2007 till Dec 31st 2009.
- Executive Director and Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi, from 1988 – 2007
- Appointed as Personal Surgeon to the President of India with effect from June, 1991.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant to the Cromwell Hospital, London U.K., with effect from March, 1994.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor, Cardiovascular Surgery, LPS Institute of Cardiology, Kanpur (U.P.) with effect from June, 1996.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant, Cardiothoracic Surgery, to the Armed Forces Medical Services, with effect from March, 1997.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor of Surgery, Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka with effect from April, 2000.
Past Academic Appointments
- Asstt. Professor of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1981-1988
- Clinical Instructor in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
- Teaching Assistant in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
Past Staff Appointments
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Consultant, Bellevue Hospital of the city of New York, U.S.A.
- Chief Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York Infirmary-Beekman Downtown Hospital, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, St. Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
Membership Of Professional Societies And Editorial Advisory Boards
- President of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS), Minneapolis, USA. 2004-05
- Member of Society of Thoracic Surgeons of U.S.A.
- Member of the Scientific Council of the American College of Angiology, U.S.A.
- Fellow Royal Society of Medicine, London.
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, USA.
- Fellow International Medical Sciences Academy.
- Member of Board of Directors of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Minneapolis, USA.
- Appointed as member of the Editorial Board of the Journal “Heart Surgery Forum”, Charlottesville, VA, USA.
- Council Member of Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons of Asia.
- Member of The European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery.
Association With National Bodies And Committees
- Chairman, Confederation of Indian Industries – Healthcare Industry Committee.
- President, Indian Health Care Federation.
- Member, Key Advisory Group, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.
- Vice Chairman, Services Export Promotion Council, Govt. of India.
- Member, Task Force on Skill Development, XIth Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, Govt. of India.
- Member, Governing Council TIFAC (Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council), New Delhi
- Member, Institute Body of Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow from 1996-2001.
- Member, Governing Council of Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore, India.
- India International Gold Award, 1995
- Rajiv Gandhi National Unity Award, 1995
- Rotary Ratna Award,1996
- Life Time Achievement Award – 2002 by the International Society of Cardiovascular Ultrasound.
- PADMA BHUSHAN AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Medicine in 2001
- PADMASHRI AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Surgery in 1991.
- Honorary Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Australia, 2002
- Jewel of India in the Millennium, 2002
- Dr. B. C. Roy National Award for the year 2005 in the category of “Eminent Medical Person”.
- AMA Physician’s Recognition Award by The CME Alliance at ISMICS-2001, Munich, Germany.
- Life Time Achievement Award -1999 from International Medical Integration Council in recognition of the pioneering work done in developing new surgical techniques.
Submit free quote request on the right for considering treatment by Dr. Naresh Trehan and other world class doctors.